Saturday, August 11, 2012

3 talks in 2 weeks

   I did 3 different talks in 3 symposiums in 2 weeks.
   First two were in workshops in the Computational Neuroscience: "Dynamics of rhythm generation" and "Principles of motor pattern generation: experiments and modeling." Gennady and Andrey kindly invited me as a speake. The 3rd talk was a symposium talk in the 10th International Congress of Neuroethology.

   For "Dynamics of...," I talked about potential mechanism of termination of an episodic behavior. This was a difficult talk for me because I have not worked on this aspect of the CPG. Some of the data I presented were not my own; those were not conclusive results. Very hard to interpret. I did some additional experiments in last moments only for figures. I was very nervous, because I was not so confident of what I was going to talk. 

   In the second workshop I talked about swim CPGs of Melibe and Dendronotus.It was fun and I enjoyed it. Andrey always admires my work.

   For the Neuroethology symposium, I was very grateful that Dr. Ron Calabrese kindly invited me to give a talk in his symposium. This is such a great honor. I gave a talk in the same symposium with Dr. Eve Marder. She even used my own laser pointer!
   About 17 years ago, my friend took me to Univ of Maryland when I visited Washington DC. It was after visiting Birmingham, England to attend the International Congress of Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. In those days I was reading papers written by Ron Calabrese and Eve Marder like textbooks. I admire them so much. And now, they have invited me to give a talk. So happy.
   I talked about individual variability in the effect of injury to the nervous system. Many people gave me good feedbacks. Some told me they got inspired by my story, which also made me very happy.

No comments: